Saturday, January 21, 2017

Sing the Song of Victory!

I am sure that I am not the only one who derives inspiration form music. So you might be wondering, what makes me tick? What gives me the motivation to pound out the miles necessary to tackle  a marathon? The answer is  intense music. I need the kind of music that taps into my inner rage and lays the passion pipeline straight to my brain. When I think of marathon running, I think of a great war. It is a war 26.2 miles in length. It is a war against nature and the forces that constrain us. The war generally lasts between two to six hours. You wouldn’t go into the field of battle, a battle that requires every ounce of strength and every drop of courage without the soundtrack that fires you up.

It is quite amazing what the right kind of music can do to the soul. The right music can tap into a subconscious  energy that we all have. A song can change a workout. I know this because two months ago I was doing a casual 12 mile run and my favorite song came on. The song  is  called “1741” by Alestorm. If I have one song I want to be my battle cry it would be that song.  “1741” has  intensity carried up from the deep depths of hell which is just how I like it. It is battle hymn of heavy metal with just a twist of classical influence.

Upon hearing the beginning chords, I went from running an eight minute per mile pace during that run to running a six mile per minute pace. I swear every time I hear that song, it just makes me want to run a marathon that very minute. It makes me want to chase glory with a renewed vigor and concentration. I remember thinking to myself as that song came on my play list, uh oh I have to go hard. I can’t listen to this song and run apathetically once my battle hymn comes on.

As I continue the journey to Boston, I will keep searching for the music that gives me the spark to do just a little bit extra. As of this week, I have increased my mileage to about 65 per week and should be closing in around 250 for the month of January. I am trying to lay down a solid base before I run two races in back-to-back weeks in February. From there it will be all hands on deck to power through March, where the mileage will increase even further.

 I came to the conclusion that when it comes to training for a marathon, you have to prepare mentally, spiritually, and physically for a great battle. The marathon will test your will and spirit in a unique way that is impossible to describe to someone who has never done one.  There are several points during a marathon, where you have to reach down further than you have ever reached before just to keep going let alone hit your goal time. If someone runs a marathon and tells you it’s easy, they are one of three things:
 1. An alien
 2. Cheating
 3. They left something out on the course.

 I’ll be dammed, if I am going to look at myself in the mirror after running a legitimate marathon and have to think that I didn’t leave my heart and soul out on the course. 

This post might finally convince you of how insane I really am. That is fine because I embrace it. I am who I am and I have no problems with that. But, I have a sneaky suspicion that most of us in the competitive racing community have a similar philosophy. I know that the search for inspiration is constant. Marathon training  can become very mundane and take on the quality of an unpaid job if you don’t keep the inner fire burning constantly. I always remind myself that I am chasing greatness; that I am embracing this difficult journey because that is who I am.

If there is anything you should get out of this post; it should be the confidence to tackle the difficult challenges in your life. You should never reach the point that you look back on your life and wonder if you gave your passion the energy it deserves. Take the chance and jump. If you feel passionately about it, don’t let anything hold you back because in reality it is just you who is holding yourself back. This is still America and YES YOU CAN, and don’t you ever forget that. If you read my blog do the following; have the courage to pursue the difficult, have the pride to attack the seemingly impossible, because if you are a part of my circle I command that you do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment