Friday, December 23, 2016

Of Men and Mountains

I would like to start by saying thank you to everyone who read the first post and offered their encouragement. I know after that first post you're wondering if I went out purchased some black eye shadow, goth clothing, and a shit load of Fall Out Boy albums. I did not do any of those things, but anyway go grab a glass of wine, a pint of beer, or a cup of coffee and tea.... I'm at it again and here we go!



                               - After my friday 12 miler

Mountain climbing makes me feel so manly!


I started off the week with an adventurous 1500 foot climb 17 miler run accompanied by my teammates Dallas and Michelle for an annual event. 

There is something magical about running up a mountain, or running in conditions that are considered dangerous I.e. last Thursday with negative wind chills. It's invigorating to push back against the perceived constraints of nature and society. When they tell you don't do it it's dangerous I translate that to let's find out if I have as much chutzpah as I think I have! It was actually a very warm damp morning for the run with rain holding off until the very end of the run. It was quite foggy at the top which was a tad disappointing because the view from the top of thatcher looking out towards the city of Albany is spectacular on a clear day. It's not dissimilar from the view of New York from the Tappan Zee Bridge.

So yes I survived the mountain run in tact and have gone through the motions this week. I had a rough go on it on Tuesday, but that's ok. I figured I would pay and I paid my penance in full. I write this hoping I can get close to 100 percent for the Hangover half marathon on January 1 2017. It represents the beginning of my Boston chapter and an opportunity to turn the page. For once I'm really not that concerned with time especially given the volatility of a Northeastern winter. 

All I want is to run a race and feel reasonably healthy. I have run in about half dozen races since the marathon and haven't felt close to 100 percent for any of them. It's so infinitely frustrating to feel yourself held back through either circumstances, sickness, or soreness. I probably won't be an don't 100 percent for this race, but I would like to see a significant improvement from the 4th quarter of 2016.

The remainder of this week has kind of dragged with my legs taking their sweet time recovering from the mountain run. But that is ok, I did not expect to bounce back quickly from Sunday.

With that I wish you all a rewarding and most importantly peaceful end to the new year. Knowing me and my tendency to get bored there will likely be another post before I head off to face the half marathon. By the way please leave comments, questions, suggestions, and requests in the comment section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment